Creating static Choropleth map images with Mapbox and shapefiles
An alternative to Google map charts
Since the deprication of the Google map charts API in 2012
there is a need for an alternative way to generate static images for choropleth maps.
Here such alternative is discussed with using styled shapefiles in Mapbox.
- An account for mabox is needed, including secret and public tokens
- First we need to add a shapefile to mapbox
- Then we write (python) code to create a style
- And use the style to create a static map
- Create a choropleth map of geocaching founds, as an example of the usage of external data
- To demo the line type in v1.1.0 create an European map of geocache founds with county subdivisions.